Saturday, September 6, 2014

The Lone Brave Survivor

This has been one of the hottest summers on record in this part of Florida and we have the energy bills to prove it!  That tale is for another day.

The heat and lack of water has destroyed our small little garden, my beautiful basil bush is pathetic in its thirst. I cannot water enough to make things right. Our lovely Mature Magnolia is dying, even though we have done everything we can to save it.

In my anguish about this, started pulling out the tomatoes that never really fruited, the egg plant, which is usually the easiest thing to grow and trying to clean up, just so I wouldn't have to look at the devastation. when I came around the corner I saw vines all over the ground that had seeded from the compost bed. Hope lives eternal for this is what I found hidden under the leaves.

 Now this pretty thing braved it all and will ultimately end the fight in a pie or just as a vegetable for the table. Steamed, mashed with butter and cinnamon.

He or she weighs 2 lbs 10 oz. Is 4 inches in diam and 9 1/2 inches long/

Soon we will start out seed pots for the cooler weather crop. September has come and we really haven't seen much of a change in the weather as yet, but in October I should have quite a few plants to plant in pots, boxes and perhaps the ground. This part of Florida is really not a good place for "in the ground gardening" . We miss the wonderful soil of New England and New Jersey, but we keep trying new methods and who knows we might win!


Blessings to the Garden Fairy for allowing me to have at least 1 (one) success to prove I did have at least "One brave Survivor".

No comments:

Post a Comment