Thursday, September 18, 2014

Brooklynese is Spoken Here in Pinellas County Florida!

If you have lived in or near to New York City or hail specifically from Brooklyn, I have a treat for you. Mr Dude and I lived very close to NYC for many years and he comes from that area. When I came to Montclair, N.J. as a young bride I had no idea how the  experiences or the people I would meet  would enrich my life.  Now that we are older and have relocated, we both find ourselves missing so many things. The memories continue to sustained us. Our dearest friends moved here at the same time and came from the same place.  " Do you remember?" is a frequent start to many conversations.  They found and introduced us to the "Lucky Dill Deli". If you love great Deli sandwiches, made the New York way, then follow this tale of our lunch date this week.

We traveled up highway 19, never a pleasure on any day, but knew that this restaurant spot would be on the West side of the highway in Palm Harbor, Fla.  Hooray,  old, but still keen, Eagle eyes spotted the sign! It necessitated a turn around, but I wasn't driving and  the thoughts of the menu made any anxiety I might have had about oncoming traffic disappear--whew, it was close though.
When we parked and walked to the door knew we were in the right place, the Brooklyn flavor began right here.


It was a little later in the day so seating was easy and  fast.  This was the wall scene that we were able to see while waiting for our waiter.  This just brought us both to the right place at the right time. I hope that this one brings back fond memories for you. Beautiful, beautiful Broadway.

I rarely  put pictures of people in my blogs, but when I told our Waiter what I was doing he showed an interest in being part of this story and gave me permission to include him. A delightful man, an excellent waiter, cute sense of humor and above all dedicated to our needs and making our lunch time a positive experience. His name is Mike and if you are there at that hour ask for him.


  We gave our order and while waiting we had all of these wonderful pictures to prepare us for our NY. experience.  A picture taken in the 1930s or 1940s of the great old Cotton Club where so many
great artists started and then stared. This next picture is another one of my favorites. We sat and picked out buildings and places we  could identify.
Do you recognize the old Flat Iron district?  Wowza is all I can say about the memories that came flooding in on us.  Lunch had arrived!  Take a look at what is one of our favorites.



A  NY style Pastrami on Rye bread 1/2 sandwich, homemade potato salad, and a delicious cup of Matzo ball soup. A bargain at 10.00. Oh yes, don't forget that famous Kosher Dill pickle! There was so much there on the plate it was impossible to eat it all--a Doggie bag please! I had viewed many of those bags leaving with other satisfied folks who are lovers of the food and the New York atmosphere. I did not feel uncomfortable asking for my little container .

I had been told to " check out" the ladies room for a surprise. Now, it isn't any news to anyone that most Ladies and Gents, yes Gents are not immune to the old age maladies as well, Have you seen that ugly commercial that shows the women checking out the necessary rooms and locations, well I personally believe that is just good planning!  When I opened the door I thought I was in  the subway station looking at the graffiti that New York is famous for. Isn't this wild?  I am told the Gent's is the same.

I decided, that little bit of nostalgia demanded a cup of excellent coffee and a free sliver of apple strudel. Time to say Thank you to Mike and pay our bill, but we were not through just yet. A trip into the bakery was ahead of us.  The array of delicious morsels starts the taste buds into high frequency over drive. There is almost every Sweet Goodie for the most demanding . This place is impossible to escape from--well you will see what I mean, I will let you be the Judge. It is truly a sweet sinning!

Now I ask you??? and that is not the half of it.

Well you know what happened here, but I honestly tried to be conservative--ahem, well I did try? Time to get on the MTA and take a ride together, just like we used to do. It  was a great afternoon, sharing the best of times with my special Mr. Dude. It never ceases to amaze me, that after all these years we still have so much to talk about, we still have fun together, and we still are in love as well as like each other--what a gift we have been given!



Why don't you take this same trip through Pinellas County, Brooklyn, Florida? I promise you will like it.
 

4 comments:

  1. What a great way to spend an afternoon with the one you love. Relaxing at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Kim, yes it was a great afternoon. We had forgotten how much fun a lunch date can be! Thank you for being such a loyal follower. I really appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun place to eat -- a happy reminder of a place you left behind. The 'Brooklyn' parking sign is a riot. We have a Chicago family-run diner here in the coastal Georgia area which has a "Parking for Chicago Cubs Fans Only" sign out front! :) My parents did a similar thing when they relocated to central Florida from Rochester, NY, landing in the same place several other Rochester friends were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, So good to see you! Thank you for following my blog and commenting. Hope all is well in your part of the world. Love your work!

      Delete