Monday, January 4, 2016

A Small Book with A Mighty Message "The Lovers"

The page has once again turned to another year  and it was then I realized I had really neglected my blog writing for 2015--here we are at 2016 and I am going to try to make my presence known, Now you understand this is not a resolution, I am not good at those, but perhaps setting a goal ?  Not sure, but did want to share this story.

Approximately 2 years ago, My Niece, who brings much joy to my life, called and said that she would be coming to our area with a friend and could we make some time to spend with them. My niece who is a Professor of English, a writer and an editor lives in New York City, so any reason for a visit is welcomed. Mr. Dude and I were curious because it all sounded very mysterious. We did know that the Friend was an award winning photographer also from New York who was now living in France.

Hugs all around later, we were introduced to Lauren Fleishman, who was delightful. It was then that we were told that Lauren was writing a book about marriage that lasted 50 years or more and since our Golden day had been  awhile ago, would we consent to being interviewed and having some pictures taken. Yikes, if I had known that I would have had my hair done or at least put something decent on!!! As  the afternoon moved on, tons of film being used and much talking and laughter, we realized this might never happen, there were 100s of people to interview all over the world.  More hugs all around and the delightful and fun day came to an end.  Frankly Mr. Dude and I forgot all about it.

In the Fall of 2015 My Sweet Niece and her husband came for another visit, and she told us then that  Mr Dude and I had made the"cut", we would be in the book and the Editor would be and was working already, Jeanne Lambert, my Niece! Now I ask you, How cool is that ! The book is titled "The Lovers"

 The story is a poignant tale of long and enduring love. When Lauren's Grandfather died it was her task to care for his belongings. In that process she found Love letters sent to her Grandmother by her Grandfather while he served in the second world War. This book, which includes 50 couples who have been married over 50 years was the finished product  inspired by these letters. The couple shone Above on the cover are the Rubensteins from Brooklyn New York and they were married in 1942.  That is a loving union of 74 years.

While we are thrilled to have been included in  this mighty book of love, reading the stories of others, made us feel like the young ones in the crowd. I loved reading every interview and viewing the photographs of each couple

So many wonderful stories. I can't even imagine the joy of the Author being able to meet these people. The East Indian couple Married in 1925, who sit together for their photo with great smiles. The husband says, " I only want to make her laugh because laughter makes you  live longer and because I love her I want to make her laugh another 80 years"! How wonderful is that?

We share the pages with the Astronaut Jim Lovell and his wife, who were married in 1952. They never dreamed what the future held for them.

In 1948 when the social rules were very different than today, A bi-racial couple married in England  and tell the tale of the difficulties they endured , yet they persevered and have written a vivid story of the struggles of an interracial marriage at that time.

There is the arranged marriage that grew into love, A Russian couple who immigrated  after meeting in a Czechoslovakian hospital. An African American couple who tell us how it was during the days of segregation  I could go on and on with the inspiring stories, but I want you to find and read this book for yourselves. Perhaps it will make you understand what a real love story is and how, if it is true, it lasts through the trials that life has in store for all of us. The early days are relatively easy--the exciting, lustful times of awareness and really getting to know each other. It is the days later when illness comes, or tragedy appears that is the true test. The people that Lauren Fleishman has portrayed in this book have stood that test with Grace!  Mr. Dude and I feel honored to have been included with these remarkable people.At the time of this writing we have been married 55 years and still going strong--do you think it will last?



 Mr. Dude and I wish to thank Lauren Fleishman for this wonderful book and our inclusion in it. I also would like to thank my Niece Jeanne Lambert for introducing us  to Lauren and her fine editing. Bless you both!


 Full lives, and when all is said and done, empty chairs together tell the story of an enduring Love

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get my hands and heart on this book. The editor picked wisely when she choose you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get my hands and heart on this book. The editor picked wisely when she choose you two!

    ReplyDelete